The official first day of Fall is here! Autumn’s arrival brings so many exciting things like cooler weather, football, and the beautiful changing leaves. The changing of seasons is a great reminder to get your home prepared for cooler weather. Here are our top tips to get your home ready:
- Schedule service for all your heating equipment. Including your furnace, boilers, and generators. You don’t want to wait until you need them to find out there is an issue.
- The change of seasons is a great time to replace the air filters in all your HVAC equipment, including your humidifier.
- Test your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors and replace the batteries. Smoke and Carbon Monoxide detectors in good working order help to keep your family safe from harm.
- Clean your dryer of lint, not just the filter but also the vent hose. Dryer lint is one of the leading causes of house fires, so making sure your dryer is free of as much lint as possible is important. Never done it before? Take a look at our video that offers some advice. You can find it here:
- Make sure you have a fully charged fire extinguisher on every floor of your home and make sure everyone in your home knows how to use it.
- Check your boiler for leaks. Take care of small leaks as soon as you become aware of them to avoid a small issue from becoming a big one.
- Examine your window and door seams for cracks in the caulking. If you find old or dried-out caulking, you may want to have it replaced. This will help to prevent drafts and save you money on your utility bills.
- Trim any tree branches that are near your home that look dead or damaged. Strong winds can cause considerable damage to your home during a storm, so a little bit of maintenance in this area can go a long way.
- Covering your outside equipment. Debris and critters can get inside the unit and cause considerable damage.
- Survey your roof for damage. Check your roof for loose or damaged shingles. You can find out what to look for here!
- Clean your gutters & downspouts. Remove any debris so that all water can be properly diverted away from your home. We’ve got a video on the subject; you can find it here.
We care about our clients and want to help you keep your home safe and ready for whatever the weather brings. If you have been dreaming about a home remodeling project or have any questions about remodeling your kitchen or bathroom, please give us a call at 615-480-0267. We would love to help you Fall Back In Love With Your Home!